Monday, November 15, 2021
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More children swallowing button batteries prompts warning from AHS

- Advertisement -

LETHBRIDGE, AB – Recent incidents in Calgary and Edmonton have prompted a warning from Alberta Health Services here in south about what can happen if a child accidentally swallows a battery.

Several kids have reportedly swallowed small button batteries, like the ones used to power a watch, and some have ended up in hospital.

South Zone Medical Officer of Health Dr. Vivien Suttorp says all batteries can be hazardous.

“I’ve seen a child with a button battery up in the nose that caused corrosion and a very, very serious nasal infection. So batteries in general, new batteries or old batteries, are a risk to children.” – Dr. Vivien Suttorp, South Zone Medical Officer of Health

If swallowed, serious burning to the throat or upper digestive tract can occur within two hours even if the battery is expired.

- Advertisement -   Article continues below ad

After swallowing a button battery, a child might have one or more of these symptoms: trouble breathing; wheezing and/or drooling; coughing and gagging when eating; trouble swallowing; chest pain; belly pain; nausea and/or vomiting; loss of appetite; and fever.

If your child does swallow a battery, do not induce vomiting and take them to the ER right away.

AHS says preventing a child from ingesting batteries is the best way to avoid serious injury:

  • Keep batteries locked up, out of reach and out of sight of children.
  • Check battery compartments of household products are secure and not easily opened.
  • Use the screws provided and tape to seal battery compartments.
  • Buy household products with secure battery compartments that cannot be easily opened by children.
  • Supervise children when they use products containing button batteries.
  • Look for loose batteries on floors, tables, counters and dispose of them safely.
  • Store or dispose of batteries in a secure place so children cannot gain access to them.
  • Cover both sides of the battery with tape before storing or disposing.
- Advertisement -
Sam Borsato

I started my radio career in 2015, shortly after graduating from Lethbridge College. I have a very strong passion for local news.

Proudly born in 1994, I grew up most of my life in Sylvan Lake, AB and I’ve lived in the Lethbridge since 2012. I’m a below average golfer on a good day, I take as many hiking trips to Waterton as possible in the summer and I love my two cats, Outlaw and Jynx, and my dog, Maverick, more than most people I know.

I look forward to providing accurate, timely news coverage in southern Alberta for plenty of years to come!

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Lethbridge News

Heavy rainfall in B.C. causes major flooding, triggers landslides, evacuation orders

LETHBRIDGE, AB - Several communities across British Columbia are experiencing more record weather, but this time it's rainfall. Only three months removed from a record...

Alberta reaches $10-a-day child care funding agreement with federal government

EDMONTON, AB - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says affordable child care is now within reach for all Alberta families with a new funding agreement...

Christmas Hope 2021 aiming to help 1600 Lethbridge households

LETHBRIDGE, AB - Half a dozen agencies across Lethbridge are joining forces to make sure the city's less fortunate have everything they need this...

UCP constituency associations force early leadership review

EDMONTON, AB - Premier Jason Kenney will be undergoing a leadership review within the next three months now that 22 of his party's constituency...

Wind WARNING for southwest Alberta

LETHBRIDGE, AB - A wind warning has been issued for southwest Alberta. The warning covers an area concerning Lethbridge, Taber, Milk River, Cardston, Magrath, Waterton,...
- Advertisement -