â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
- Advertisement -
HomeNewsNew west Lethbridge elementary school part of 2021 Alberta capital plan

New west Lethbridge elementary school part of 2021 Alberta capital plan

EDMONTON, AB – For years now, west Lethbridge has been the fastest growing area of the city. Now, there is going to be a new public elementary school built to service the population on that side of the river.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Alberta government announced 14 new school projects and a number of school upgrades as part of Budget 2021.

This new public Kindergarten to Grade 5 elementary school will be in the Garry Station subdivision.

Education Minister Adriana LaGrange says the province is 100% committed to building new schools. “Our total capital investment include $2.1 billion over three years to maintain existing schools, work on previously announced projects, expand the modular program, and support new school projects.”

Other projects in southern Alberta as part of this announcement include design work for modernizing the Milk River School as well as well as the replacement and reconfiguration of Kate Andrews High in Coaldale.

Lethbridge-East UCP MLA Nathan Neudorf says this type of high-quality education infrastructure has been a top priority for many parents. “I am thankful that our government has recognized this need.”

The government also announced new schools are going to be built in Calgary, Camrose, Edmonton, Manning and Red Deer.

The Lethbridge School Division also released a statement Wednesday following the provincial announcement:

“The approval for the new school means the Division can start hiring architectural consultants for the design. The Division will now work with City of Lethbridge and developers in regards to the development of a site in Garry Station. A new elementary school has been the number one capital priority for the Division for the last four years, with the recognition the north end of west Lethbridge is a growing community. There have also been significant enrolment pressures on both Mike Mountain Horse Elementary School and Coalbanks Elementary School, which opened in 2017.”

The district says the new school could open in September 2025 at the earliest, depending on planning, site preparation and the date of approval for construction by the province.

Budget 2021 school capital projects:

*Design funding only

Community School Division Project
Airdrie Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School Division Addition and modernization of St. Martin de Porres High School
Calgary Southern Francophone Education Region New complex in south Calgary

(Grades K-6/7-12)

Calgary Montgomery School

(Calgary Board of Education)

Funding to support ownership options for the Montgomery School
Camrose* Elk Island Catholic Separate School Division New high school (Grades 9-12)
Coaldale Palliser School Division Replacement and reconfiguration of Kate Andrews High School
Edmonton* Edmonton Catholic Separate School Division New high school in north Edmonton (Grades 10-12)
Evansburg* Grande Yellowhead School Division Modernization of Grand Trunk School (Grades K-12)
Fort Vermilion Fort Vermilion School Division Modernization of Fort Vermilion Public School (Grades K-12)
Lethbridge Lethbridge School Division New elementary school in west Lethbridge (Grades K-5)
Manning* Peace River School Division New school in Manning (Grades K-12)
Milk River* Horizon School Division Modernization of Milk River School (Grades K-12)
Red Deer Red Deer School Division Modernization to address health and safety concerns and addition to Hunting Hills School
Red Deer Red Deer Catholic Separate School Division New middle school, full build design was approved in 2019 (Grades 6-9)
Sherwood Park Greater North Central Francophone Education Region Replacement and expansion of École Claudette-et-Denis-Tardif School
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading