LETHBRIDGE, AB – A number of highway and bridge projects will be taking place across southern Alberta in coming months.
On Friday, the province announced $3 billion over three years for things like fixing potholes, resurfacing roads, bridge repairs, and upgrades to a number of health and education buildings.
Some of the highway projects in this region include money for repaving work along parts of both Highway 3 and Highway 4 as well as rehabilitation of the Highway 25 bridge deck over Highway 3, just to name a few.
Alberta Transportation Minister, Ric McIver says priority is to create thousands of jobs now by fixing potholes and bridges and roads so Albertans can travel safer and so we can get our goods to market more efficiently. “Extending the life of infrastructure reduces replacement costs in the future. Budget 2021 makes sure Albertans can continue to be proud of their highways.”
The government says all these provincial capital maintenance projects will support 15,000 jobs. Some of the projects included in this were previously announced.
You can see a full list of projects here: Alberta 2021 Highway & Water Management Projects
Some southern Alberta projects slated for 2021:
- Highway 25 overpass over Highway 3 for bridge deck rehabilitation
- Highway 3 pedestrian bridge construction (Scenic Dr.)
- Highway 3 paving between Coaldale & Highway 3X (8 km)
- Highway 3 twinning between Taber & Burdett (design work)
- Highway 3 paving and intersection improvements in the Crowsnest Pass
- Highway 520 paving between Claresholm & Highway 23