Smoke, Wind & Fire
The Lethbridge & District Exhibition, in partnership with Lethbridge Lodging Association, has plans to make mouths water this summer in Lethbridge and surrounding area. The program is called Southern Alberta Table, and planning is underway for BBQ competitions, an Amazing Race-style agricultural odyssey, and an incredible harvest dinner with a celebrity chef. The events will showcase the amazing producers and products of southern Alberta, one of Canada’s most important agricultural and agri-food processing regions.
“We’re excited to show the world what’s on a Southern Alberta Table,” said Mike Warkentin, chief operating officer of Lethbridge & District Exhibition. “There’s an exceptional demand for experiences that combine agriculture and tourism, and Lethbridge is ready to meet that demand this summer. Agritourism benefits the local economy on many levels.”
- Kansas City BBQ Society judging clinic – Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS), the largest competitive barbecue organization in the world, this clinic will give local residents the chance to become certified judges for sanctioned barbecue events. Dates: June 19-20
- Did somebody say “Smoked Meat?” – Smoke, Wind & Fire, a KCBS-sanctioned BBQ competition is happening in Lethbridge this year. It will be the only professional BBQ competition in Canada in July and a major stop on the BBQ Pro Circuit. (That’s right, there is a professional barbecue circuit.) Members of the public are invited to attend the barbecue competition and learn more about grilling and barbecue skills by watching and talking to the masters. There will also be a local backyard BBQ competition, demonstrations, and other fun events. Dates: July 10-11
- Celebrity chef judges – The king and queen of smoked meat, John Jackson and Connie Desousa, co-chefs and co-owners of Calgary’s acclaimed CHARCUT restaurant will be judges at Smoke, Wind & Fire. They’ll also take part in demos and other events. Dates: July 10-11. Additionally, leading the BBQ revolution in southern Alberta, Devynn Bohn, from Hickory Street restaurant and food truck, will be taking part as an event partner and celebrity judge.
- A southern Alberta food adventure to remember – The VisitLethbridge.com Odyssey will be an Amazing Race-style event, with teams traveling through southern Alberta, competing in judged challenges celebrating historic and modern agricultural practices. Dates: Aug 13-15
- Celebrity chef harvest dinner – The agritourism tasty fun will culminate with a multi-course feast celebrating the fall harvest and southern Alberta’s remarkable agriculture sector. Details about what’s on the menu and the celebrity chef creating this showcase of Southern Alberta’s Table will be available later this summer.
“It’s going to be a fun summer for locals and visitors alike,” said Shilpa Stocker, project manager for the Lethbridge Lodging Association. “The exceptional events of Southern Alberta Table will undoubtedly attract out-of-town visitors who will hopefully extend their stay and explore the wonderful restaurants and attractions the Lethbridge region has to offer.”
For more information about the events of Southern Alberta Table, visit exhibitionpark.ca.