Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Annual generator test believed to have sparked grass fire at Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump

- Advertisement -

FORT MACLEOD, AB – Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is back to regular operations after a fire last week.

Visitors to the interpretive centre northwest of Fort Macleod were evacuated from the site around noon on Thursday.

Officials with the ministry of Culture and Multiculturalism say the blaze is believed to have started during an annual generator test that resulted in a backfire of hot carbon.

The grass surrounding the exhaust pipe ignited and the fire spread down the hill north of the interpretive centre.

The blaze was extinguished within 6 hours and there were no injuries or damage to the facility.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Now playing play

Now playing play

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -