The death of a man last weekend in a house fire has been deemed non-criminal.
Lethbridge Police and the Fire Department have completed a joint investigation into the blaze.
Crews were called out on Saturday (July 20) to reports of a fire at a home along 5th Street South. A 50 year old man was found in a basement suite, taken to hospital and later died of his injuries.
LPS say an autopsy has concluded there is no evidence to suggest foul play, pending toxicology results. Fire investigators have determined the blaze was accidental and started in the kitchen.
A dog was also found dead inside the home. A 24 year old woman living on the main floor suite escaped without injury.
Police say the name of the man killed will not be released.
Fire and Emergency Services is reminding all residents and homeowners to ensure every secondary suite is safe in the event of an emergency. Three important safety features to keep in mind are ensuring basement bedroom windows are unobstructed and large enough for anyone to get through, smoke alarms are interconnected and located in every bedroom and all exits are clear of debris and lead directly outside.