Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsWork to learn gives university students experience in local government

Work to learn gives university students experience in local government

A partnership between the University of Lethbridge and the city gave students an opportunity to use their academic skills in a workplace environment, while gaining deeper understanding of government processes. 

Eight students participated in five applied studies as part of a new work integrated learning partnership between the city and the university’s Prentice Institute for Global Population and Economy. 

Projects were focused on a range of topics, including a gap analysis of the City’s heritage program, researching best practices for inclusive urban planning and researching the history of the Warehouse District as part of the City’s ongoing long-range planning work. 

Students were supervised by two city staff from the Opportunity Lethbridge and Planning and Design departments, as well as six Prentice Institute research affiliates and University faculty. 

“There is an impressive knowledge base that exists in Lethbridge that the City of Lethbridge is excited to tap into through WIL projects such as the ones being showcased today,” says Perry Stein, partner services manager with the city.  “Working with post-secondary students and faculty allows us to access this knowledge not only to enhance our day-to-day work, but to get a better handle on the talent in the community. We hope that students will gain valuable skills working with us and see us as an employer of choice once they graduate.” 

Students showed off their projects from the fall and spring semesters at an event on April 20. 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading