â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsNew westside elementary school to house up to 900 students

New westside elementary school to house up to 900 students

Elementary students living in the Garry Station area will be learning in a new building come the 2025-2026 school year.

Work on the new westside elementary school is slated to begin this summer. The new 900-students school will be for those in kindergarten to grade five and will be the Lethbridge School Division’s first two-storey elementary school built since the 1950’s.

Ward Bros. Construction Ltd. will be building the school, while FWBA Architects are the lead design team. The two were contracted by the Alberta government.

Daniel Heaton, director of facility services for Lethbridge School Division says the division of confident in the two companies and is excited to work with them.

Ward Bros worked on the modernization project for both Gilbert Paterson Middle School and Wilson Middle School. FWBA’s work includes designs for Coalbanks Elementary School, Dr. Robert Plaxton Elementary School, Senator Joyce Fairbairn Middle School and Wilson Middle School.

The new elementary school will feature a 6,000 square metre structure and Heaton says plans changed since the project was first envisioned.

“The school site was originally designed to house a 600-student school. The Division felt strongly a 900-student school was needed, to ensure we account for future population growth in the area,” he says.

Nathan Neudorf, minister of infrastructure, says the school is a top priority project and the government is pleased to help fund the new school.

“Our priority is to ensure all Alberta students have access to the top-quality school facilities they need to learn and thrive,” says Neudorf.

The school will have a large gym, which the City of Lethbridge provided additional funding for. It’s also added a large student drop-off zone.

Currently there is no name for the school, and the division says a groundbreaking ceremony is planned for June.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading