Town Council in Taber has approved some cuts in its 2020 capital and operating budgets.
Throughout deliberations, Council says it made difficult decisions to help balance the budget in light of provincial funding cuts.
Taber Town Councillors have approved cutting their salaries by 5%, while management wages have been frozen for next year, and they’ve decided on removing all non-essential training for staff as well.
Taber Mayor Andrew Prokop says this budget process has seen some significant constraints and cuts, noting it’s the duty of Town Councillors to tighten their belts of behalf of taxpayers.
“These decisions weren’t easy,” says Prokop. “I would like to thank Administration for their diligence in providing Council these options, and our staff for taking a number of cuts and freezes in order for Council to pass a balanced budget for next year. Despite these cuts, I have no doubt our staff will continue to provide excellent service and our citizens will receive the best value for their tax dollars.”
Those municipal cuts in Taber amount to roughly $278,000.
You can read the full report here: Town of Taber 2020 Budget Statement
Taber Town Council approved the following cuts to the budget:
- Council reduces their pay by 5%, cutting out $11,133;
- Management wages are to be frozen in 2020, reducing the budget by $35,064;
- Staff training was cut where it did not relate to required continuous professional learning, saving $55,260;
- Council rescinds RES. 552/2019 regarding sending the Mayor, one Councillor, and the Chief Administrative Officer to Japan, reducing the budget by $11,000;
- Reducing the Council Discretionary Fund by $50,000;
- A proposed study in the Planning and Economic Development Department was removed, equaling $60,000;
- By finding internal efficiencies vehicle rental, gas, and oil expenses were reduced by $12,000;
- Stormwater land improvements were cut by $20,000;
- Proposed natural gas heaters in Confederation Park were removed, saving $20,000;
- Removing Taber’s membership in the Canadian Badlands, equaling $4,500.