Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsCCH student takes top spot in first-ever Analog Prize

CCH student takes top spot in first-ever Analog Prize

Stevie Sanders, a Catholic Central High School student, was awarded first place in the Analog Prize, which celebrates excellence in short story writing. Sanders won $500 for the composition, “Of Hardened Flesh.” 

Three finalists were awarded $100 gift certificates. Maxwell Edwards from Chinook High School for “The Gallows,” Eleah Klassen for “Unfinished Business” from Winston Churchill High School and “The Best of Intentions” by Sawyer Jones, a homeschooled student from Pincher Creek. 

“We were really pleased with the response for the first year with nearly 40 entries from 17 different schools across southern Alberta and a number of homeschooled students. The work showcased the impressive talents and creativity of our young writers throughout the community. We sincerely hope all the students who entered are inspired to consider writing as a serious career path in the future,” says Scott Warris, co-owner of Analog Books.  

Launched for the 2023/2024 school year, the Analog Prize is a short story writing competition presented by Analog Books and open to Grade 9-12 students throughout southern Alberta. The Analog Prize intends to inspire and motivate young writers to consider pursuing a future as Canadian literary artists. 

The first prize of $500 is sponsored by University of Lethbridge Chancellor Terry Whitehead. “I am excited to be a part of the first Analog Prize and many more to come. Motivating young southern Alberta writers to express themselves creatively is so important,” notes Whitehead. 

From bedtime stories to fairytales to essays, short stories have been an integral part of our lives, adds Penny Warris, co-owner of Analog Books. “We look forward to inspiring a new generation of storytellers through the Analog Prize.” 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading