Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsNew endowment fund to support 2SLGBTQ+ students at the University of Lethbridge

New endowment fund to support 2SLGBTQ+ students at the University of Lethbridge

A new endowment fund created by two alumni of the University of Lethbridge will support 2SLGBTQ+ students and those who advance equity and inclusion. Kurt Schlachter and Jason VandenHoek, which was announced during a progressive pride flag raising at the university on June 19. The $200,000 endowment fund will support a suite of awards aimed at reducing barriers for 2SLGBTQ+ students. 

“With some of the incredibly high rates of addiction, homelessness and suicide among 2SLGBTQ+ youth, we wanted to support students from this community by providing access to education that they may not otherwise have, especially those who don’t come from supportive families like we do or who may have financial barriers,” says Schlachter. “It was clear to us there is a gap for this segment of the student population. We also felt it was really important for us to support students who are demonstrating leadership and allyship for the 2SLGBTQ+ community.” 

Schlachter is a Lethbridge-based lawyer and is currently the chief executive officer of Stringam LLP. VandenHoek spent over a decade as executive director of the Chinook Regional Hospital Foundation, before becoming the chief operating officer of the pair’s real estate holding company.  

Both grew up in rural southern Alberta and Schlachter says he recognizes challenges for those who do not have access to support or have limited opportunities to grow in a diverse environment. 

“While there has been some progress, there are still significant barriers to accessing resources and support for 2SLGBTQ+ students,” says Schlachter. “With a smaller population, these students are less likely to be exposed to diversity of perspective, thought and individual circumstances in the same way as when you can come to a larger centre, and especially to a university campus. It opens your eyes in different ways. It’s important for students to see themselves represented and to feel that they are not alone.” 

The first award from the VandenHoek Schlachter Pride Fund will be presented in June 2024. 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading