Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsStudents can dress for success with MyCityCare's annual Cinderella Project

Students can dress for success with MyCityCare’s annual Cinderella Project

With grad season just around the corner, some families may find it hard financially to buy the perfect grad dress or suit. MyCityCare has launched its Cinderella Project and Tux Shop, a program designed to help make grad dreams come true for high school students. 

MyCityCare program coordinator Tanya Lister says the idea was to step in and fill in the gap where there was a need. “We discovered there were many teens within our city choosing not to go to their Grade 12 grads because they didn’t think they were able to afford to have a dress or a suit and to be able to cross that stage in the same way as their peers.” 

The Cinderella Project has been providing grad dresses to local high school students since 2017. Last year, 57 students went through the program in Lethbridge. 

“For these kids to have worked so hard to overcome so many barriers and to get to the finish line and not cross it. We wanted to be able to help,” adds Lister. 

- Advertisement -

Grad dresses and suits have been generously donated, Lister adds, so the organization can help students attend their grads in style. “To cross the stage – looking and feeling their best.” 

Founder of the project Jen Tribble says MyCityCare is thrilled to be able to come alongside these students and their families in this unique way to provide formal wear for graduating students. “Grad is such an important event in the lives of high school students and we want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to participate.” 

“We’ve always had such good feedback from the students and their families. Just how grateful they are to have this need they never expected to be filled and taken care of,” says Lister. 

The organization continues to collect donations of gently-used prom dresses and suits from the community. Monetary donations are also welcome to purchase new items, including accessories such as belts, dress shirts, shoes and jewelry. 

- Advertisement -

“We also cover alteration costs, so that helps us make sure the whole experience gets off on the right foot,” says Lister. 

The Mayor Magrath North location is set up to create a boutique experience for the students to come and choose the perfect outfit for their graduation. A volunteer team of personal shoppers walk students through the appointment from start to finish.  

For more information about the Cinderella Project and Tux Shop or to register visit mycitycare.ca. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading