Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsLethbridge hosts Alberta Esports Championship in May

Lethbridge hosts Alberta Esports Championship in May

Next month, Lethbridge plays host to the Alberta Esports Championship. “A first of its kind event in Alberta,” says Jesse Sadlowski, event organizer and Lethbridge School Division director of Technology Learning and Innovation.

“It’s an opportunity for middle school and high school students to come together to participate in competitive video games,” adds Sadlowski. “We’ll be hosting multiple titles. I think our biggest title right now will be ‘Super Smash Bros.’” 

Other titles to be featured at the championship will include “League of Legends,” “Rocket League,” “Valorant” and “Omega Strikers.” 

“We’re anticipating approximately 200 students from Western Canada showing up for this event,” says Sadlowski. “We’re also co-hosting a conference at the same time. The High Level Innovation Conference and Geek Fest will also be happening the same weekend.” 

According to Sadlowski, there will be five stages highlighting students playing competitive video gaming. “It’s a great opportunity for our students.” 

Students will receive giveaways, a chance to win trophies and province-wide bragging rights “Through the tournament, we’ve had a number of local sponsors and sponsors throughout Canada come together to do draws, prizes and giveaways. All our students playing will be receiving packages. Anybody that shows up to the event has an opportunity to win prizes and come join us on some of our stages,” says Sadlowski.  

Free player registrations for ages 12-18 will be open until next week. “I would encourage students and parents to register as soon as they can,” notes Sadlowski. “They can be a part of a school team or they can just register as players, as long as their parents are supervising.” 

Recently, the Town of Coaldale announced esports would be added as an official competition at the Southern Alberta Summer Games. 

“I think that’s fantastic. I think one of the reasons for the championship was to bring our community together. There’s a lot of misconceptions about what competitive video gaming is and what it looks like. I’m thankful the Summer Games has added esports. It does bring in a group of students that may not be playing traditional sports,” says Sadlowski. “It’s just one more event in southern Alberta that helps promote our students and what their interests are.” 

The championship runs May 3-4 at the Agri-food Hub and Trade Centre. Free entry for spectators. For more information or to register visit aec2024.ca. 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading