â–ş Listen Live
â–ş Listen Live
HomeNewsTeachers' association calls for pause of draft K-6 Social Studies pilot program

Teachers’ association calls for pause of draft K-6 Social Studies pilot program

Alberta Education has released an updated draft K-6 social studies curriculum to help school authorities and teachers prepare for optional classroom piloting, beginning in September. But, the Alberta Teachers’ Association is calling on the government to pause the pilot program to better integrate feedback from teachers. 

Since August 2023, Alberta’s government has been engaging with parents, teachers, education partners and curriculum specialists to develop a new draft K-6 social studies curriculum that will focus on building critical thinking skills and empowering students to be engaged citizens. 

“I am incredibly proud of the work that’s gone into developing this new K-6 social studies curriculum and I am excited to see how it transfers into the classroom through piloting this fall. I look forward to further collaboration with school leaders and teachers, as we continue our work to build a comprehensive curriculum that builds students’ critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills and empowers them to be active citizens,” says Minister of Education Demetrios Nicolaides. 

Draft curriculum content was adjusted to engage students in learning that promotes understanding of diversity across Canada and throughout the world and reflect the growth of learners through learning progressions that expand from individual experiences to communities and beyond. 

- Advertisement -

ATA President Jason Schilling says the ATA welcomed the opportunity to provide feedback on the social studies curriculum. “Unfortunately, teachers’ recommendations are not reflected in this most recent draft. Rather than proceeding to pilot a curriculum we know is flawed, let’s take the time needed to get it right and ready for the classroom.” 

According to the ATA, among teachers’ concerns are the unrealistic number of concepts to be covered, some of which are developmentally inappropriate and conceptually inaccurate, as well as failing to engage higher-order thinking skills.  

“What’s the rush? Over the past three years, Alberta elementary schools have piloted and implemented new curriculum across four subject areas in seven grade levels. The problems currently being faced by teachers having to implement a flawed math curriculum demonstrate the risk of proceeding prematurely to implement new curriculum content and design,” adds Schilling. 

At a time when schools are overcrowded and understaffed, Schilling says, the launch of more new curriculum is overloading the system. “Alberta students deserve the best and so we must make the effort and take the time to get this right. Government can do this by involving teachers directly in continuing curriculum revision, by listening meaningfully to their advice and by incorporating those suggestions into a curriculum set for success and Albertans can be proud of.” 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading